12/10/2012

Review - Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (with Commentary!)


Keeping with the Christmas spirit, this week my friend Katelynn E (who writes semi-regularly at Duchess Thoughts) and I sat down at our kilometres-apart computers and watched the Rankin and Bass stop-motion classic Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer together. Our chat feed was not silent.

DL: Let's be on our merry way!
KE: righteo!

On introductions and snowman mobility.


DL: Ahhhh,, this music.
How is [Sam the Snowman] moving. He is just butt shuffling.
It's weird, but because of this special I was used to the idea of Santa being thin.
Rudolph, the German Reindeer       

On reindeer neurochemistry.


KE: i want to know how that nose lights up. like, biologically.
but then...i guess that would lead to questions of how reindeer fly
DL: IT'S THE POWER OF CHRISTMAS

Our heroes rally around the family with a pocket full of shells.


KE: supportive parents. male reindeer are dicks
DL: Ahhh reindeer racism.
"Non-conformity." FIGHT THE POWER
KE: Rudolph and Hermie clearly need to be counter-cultural figureheads
DL: Arctic hipsters.
KE: I want to see Rudolph in hipster glasses. $10 its fucking adorable
DL: And a scarf!
I think I know someone with Hermie's haircut.
KE: FIGURE OF THE COUNTERCULTURAL REVOLUTION
oh my god...do you mean Conan O'Brien?!
DL: No, someone I know personally, but the comparison is apt.
Now I want to hear Conan redub all of Hermie's lines.

On elfin music.


KE: i didn't realize that being an elf led to such limited career choices. I feel like elves and English majors have many similarities
i love how much Santa hates this song
DL: Santa needs someone to drop the bass.
Elfstep
KE: he needs a beer
that'll fatten him up right away, if that's what the missus is worried about
also, do these elves have issues with identifying their siblings and significant others? is that a thing that even exists?
DL: I like to think they're a hivemind.
Like ants.
KE: Santa is delightfully erratic. he's like a manic pixie dream girl
right now he's out dancing in the snow and naming the individual flakes
DL: Zooey Deschanel IS Santa Claus.
KE: her middle name is Claus. fact
DL: I am really disappointed to discover that isn't fact.

Our hero attends school.


DL: "Awww shit, does. Be my wingman, Rudolph."
KE: cue pick up line involving "horny"
DL: "Even though I'm your instructor, but I want to be your pal." Someone call the reindeer cops.
KE: i love their eyes when they go all wonky. best is the reaction when Rudolph loses the fake nose
DL: "What's so funny about the way I talk?" "Dunno, you just sound like prepubescent Robert DeNiro."
KE: i was going to peg him for Ryan Gosling's weird Brooklyn accent thing hahah
HARLOT
DL: Rudolph has more game than I have.
KE: people didn't give Rudolph nearly enough credit for his social skills, in my humble opinion
LOOK AT HIS EYES
DL: Those reindeer are freaking the fuck out.
KE: "LOOK AT THE BEAK"

On the subject of Santa’s bigotry.


DL: Man Santa is like super nose-racist.
KE: Santa is seriously judgemental. I'm trying to decide whether this makes him more or less qualified to compile a list of Good and Bad
DL: Santa: basically bearded Hitler.

Our hero makes some moves.


DL: I love how little girl reindeer sounds like a full grown woman.
KE: girl reindeer mature faster than boys. fact
DL: Perhaps the only way in which this special is in any way scientifically accurate.
KE: my entire life is spent in defying science. might explain my obscene love for this thing
DL: I just like creepily jerky animation.
           
Our hero meets another hero.


KE: Rudolph just makes friends so easily. Look at him go
DL: Man, this becomes really sophisticated if you think of Rudolph as an analogue for African-Americans and Hermie is a gay dude trying to make it in repressed early sixties culture.
KE: this is so much more than a Christmas tale. its all empowering to eccentric children
           
Our heroes happen across JESUS CHRIST WHAT IS THAT THING.


DL: Okay, real talk: I was so afraid of the abominable snow monster as a child I would hide BEHIND our TV, so I would be out of his line of sight.           
KE: hahaah i could never take him seriously, because our favourite line was about Bumbles bouncing

Our heroes meet a prospector.


KE: GOOOOOLD!
Yukon Cornelius, distant cousin of Goldmember.
DL: Ewwwwwww
           
On the plight of the gold-fed squirrel.
KE: squirrels are clearly superior to humans, they have no sense of the material worth of that gold. they're just pissed cause they're now going to starve to death
DL: "Guess we'll have to eat the children again."
KE: they're going to live on a liquid diet cause they broke off their teeth trying to eat gold

Our heroes reach the Island of Misfit Toys.    

                   
KE: "NO CHILD WANTS TO PLAY WITH A CHARLIE IN THE BOX"
DL: I would. Actually some of those toys look pretty neat.
KE: i want that elephant
DL: Oh that jelly bit was dirty.
OSTRICH COWBOY


KE: THE OSTRICH COWBOY IS THE BEST ONE
I would literally adopt all of those misfit toys
i always picked the Beanie Babies that nobody wanted
DL: "How do you like that? Even among misfits you're misfits!" "Yukon, shut the Hell up."
KE: hahaah Yukon tells it like it is
DL: King Moonrazor is the real hero.         

Our heroes confront the Bumble.


KE: Bumbles have manboobs
that laugh is...quite sinister, i must say
DL: And how!
KE: i didn't think he had it in him to be so diabolical
DL: I wish one of those dogs was a corgi.  
KE: those little legs wouldn't fare well in all that snow
DL: Christmas corgi!
I was thinking of the hipster allusions, and now I want to see Joseph Gordon-Levitt as Hermie in a live action remake.
Hermie cold ripped out that thing's teeth.
KE: hahahaah the cold of the North would numb his bumble gums
YUUUUKON
DL: BUMBLEGUMS
KE: lord, i'm so unintentionally witty
           
Our heroes fight the power.


DL: "Now that you've helped out, we don't hate you for your appearance as much."
KE: Santa puts himself on his own Naughty List this year
DL: Santa is the real villain.
Bumble wants a job. He isn't a parasite.
AYN RAND'S RUDOLPH
KE: He's reformed!
BUMBLES BOUNCE!

On the cultural expectation of Santa’s corpulence.


KE: THE CHILDREN DON'T EVEN SEE SANTA WHAT THE HELL DO THEY CARE?!
HE'D FIT DOWN THE CHIMNEY BETTER SKINNY
THE LOGICAL FLAWS
Now I just feel like a dick for being hypercritical of this beloved classic
           
On terrible parenting.


DL: "I knew that nose would be useful someday, I knew it all along." NO YOU DIDN'T, YOU HORRIBLE FATHER.
KE: i love that the reindeer are useless. just standing around chatting. because they're deer and don't have hands
DL: "All I want for Christmas is opposable thumbs."
           
Let’s just not talk about this bit.


KE: HOW DID HE PUT THAT WEIGHT ON IN 5 MINUTES
WHAT HO, WHAT IS THAT DEMONRY!?
also, "thanks mama". their marriage is dead. like...they're roommates now
DL: I bet Santa is into some freaky shit.
KE: EWWWW
DL: :D
KE: Cornelius on the other hand...
DL: He can't finish unless he's covered in gold paint
Wait... yupp. That is the worst thing I've ever written.      
KE: I can't even respond to that hahaha
           
On the Misfit Toys’ absolution.


DL: "I haven't even dreams left to dream." emoooooo
KE: NOOO no dreams left to dream!! that's the saddest line of the whole movie
new idea; i want the bear on the bicycle
DL: Square-wheeled train for me.
KE: I LOVE THAT THEY GIVE THEM UMBRELLAS
adorable
impractical. but adorable
DL: Except for the bird, who could fly all along.
Oh my God, he was faking his misfitness.
HIPSTER TOY
KE: cause he knew that being a misfit was going to be super cool in the end
misfit before it was cool


You can find more of Katelynn's work at Duchess Thoughts.

No comments: