6/03/2013

Analysis - It's a Nice Day for a Red Wedding


Last night, HBO aired "The Rains of Castamere," the ninth and penultimate episode of Game of Thrones' third season. I haven't seen any of the third season as of yet, preferring to watch it all in one big lump after next week's finale, but having read A Storm of Swords, the bulk of which serves as the basis for this season, I knew the Red Wedding was coming. Without spoiling too much, the Red Wedding is one of the major turning points in ASoS and involves a shitload of characters, many of them important and almost all of them decent human beings, being mercilessly slaughtered by turncoats. So an emotionally and arguably awful part of me eagerly awaited to see how that portion of Game of Thrones viewers who hadn't read the books would react. The Internet did not let me down.


First off, from Twitter:




The link included above:





Next, a cameo from Cracked.com senior writer and normally unflappable fellow Dan O'Brien:



Lastly, chainsawsuit's Kris Straub echoes every book reader's thoughts:


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I've got to say, I took a kind of sadistic glee when I realized that's what episode had aired. Quite a few of my coworkers watch the show, but had never read the books, and the mood in the office the next morning was incredibly morose. I also enjoyed this compilation of people watching the scene for the first time. Glad to see I'm not the only sadist out there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78juOpTM3tE